Early August Updates

Posted: August 1, 2013 in 90 Gallon Reef, Reef Angel

Well, I continue to be slammed by work, so I haven’t had as much time to be active here as I’d like. However, I am doing better on keeping up with tank maintenance.

Updates:

After a couple more water changes (yay, fresh salt arrived!) I still am unable to run my primary skimmer. Even full open it overflows. Though, I can tell I am getting closer. So more water changes to get the chemiclean out of the system are needed (also running carbon, but passively since my reactor has biopellets now).  Thankfully, my backup skimmer is continuing to charge away. So it’s not going skimmer less. The wet vac makes water changes WAY easier.

The Chemiclean did exactly what I needed it to do: killed all my cyano. The positive for this is that I was worried about it taking over with the start of biopellets. The negative is that is has been replaced by some hair algae (though, I have a couple fish that munch on this stuff!).

My mixing pump (which used to power my reactor) is def too weak for mixing my large vats of salt. So I have another maxijet on order for it.  Also, my autofeeder has arrived, so I am going to spend some time next week tinkering with it before I add it to my tank (though, I did make a shelf on the inside of my canopy that should hold it well).

Which brings me to my Reef Angel.  I have had TERRIBLE luck in the past whenever I updated libraries. A big part of this is waiting forever between updating them. Well, I was adding code to turn FeedMode on at specific times to coordinate when I would have my autofeeder turn on, and decided I might as well update libraries since it’s only been a couple months.

Well… wouldn’t you know that it’s gone and screwed up my uploading again. Everything compiles and uploads… but then there is a verification error and the Reef Angel doesn’t function correctly. Thankfully I have a backup INO file that runs the absolute basic programming on my Reef Angel (ATO, LED Slope, fuge light. Nothing fancy). So at least it’s not DOA, but still annoying. Working with the guys over on their forum (SUPER helpful at least!) to get it working. But I may revert to the old libraries and hope it helps.

Last, but not least, I finally ordered some more plumbing parts for my reactor. The return tube went to the sump, but let the water fall a good 4 to 6 inches in. This created a bit of noise and salt creep. So this has been fixed. Plus I got enough to loop it out of the way for easier access to the reactor chamber.

Anyway, I feel like things are going in a mostly positive direction overall. Some coral looks stressed, some thriving. Fish are all doing good as well. Adding another powerhead when it arrives, and now I also think I want to look at adding a deeper sand bed (I have a couple spots that keep getting blown all the way down to glass!).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s