Archive for November, 2013

April’s New Tank

Posted: November 11, 2013 in April's Freshwater Tank

5-Gallon Hex

I’ve been too busy to clean-out, drill and plumb my bowfront tank.  So, in the mean time my fiance April has decided we need another tank in our dining room. She has decided to setup a 5-gallon freshwater tank.  Filled and beginning the cycle now (she’s not thrilled about having to wait to add anything!).

Beginning the Cycle

 

Houston… We have a Problem

Posted: November 11, 2013 in Misc

Clown stuck in overflow

One of my clowns decided to ride the wave into my overflow. So tight I can’t get my net in. Looks like my overflow has a resident until he decides to ride the plumbing to the sump!  Just going to be sure he gets food… and wait him out!

My first thought, after giving it a few days, is to plug the overflows from the sump, and let the tank fill up enough he can just swim out.

Scenes from the Fuge

Posted: November 10, 2013 in Refugium

I took a couple pictures from my fuge that actually kinda show the amount of life that has started to explode out of it.  Most of the little dots on the glass are pods. Hopefully it’s easy to make a couple of them out.

Micro Brittle Star

Full of Pods!

Mandarin Prep

Posted: November 3, 2013 in 90 Gallon Reef

BlueMandarin

The Mandarin has been one of the fish I was most interested to keep.

My refugium has become LOADED with pods over the last few weeks. Additionally, I have started to see really small ones appear within the display tank. I believe I am now pretty close to being able to support a Mandarin.  My biggest obstacle is my 6-line wrasse.  The 6-line will compete for pods and could potentially be aggressive. I have had 0 aggression out of this particular fish, so I think that shouldn’t be a big issue.

The fact that I have pods in the display is encouraging. I am going to start pursing options of increasing the population in my display.

First, I have started to dose phyto. Increase in food should increase pod reproduction. Next, I am going to use the plastic Gutter Guard to create  “pod condos”. The basic idea is that it’s a plastic sleeve that you fill with live rock rubble. These (I plan on making 5 or 6) will be placed in the refugium. The will act as a breading ground for the pods, which then can be quickly moved into the display, bringing a pod payload with it.  This should help move my massive pod population from the fuge into the display.

I am hoping to order the Mandarin around Thanksgiving (when I have plenty of time off to receive the shipment). This should give me some time to get the display tank where it needs to be.

 

Post Blackout Success

Posted: November 1, 2013 in 90 Gallon Reef

It’s been over a week since I went for a complete blackout of my tank.  This was a big push to remove the algae that has been plaguing me since summer.

Full Tank Shot Right after the Blackout ended

I turned the lights off, and covered the tank with blankets, for a week. During this time, I transitioned to running my fuge light 24/7 and did every-other-day water changes.

I’d call the results a success!  The algae was greatly dissipated.  Since the lights have been turned back on, the algae has continued to go down.  The fuge is now full of nasty algae, as it should be (I plan on adding some more macro algae to fight this. I’d like to add some ulva to grow food for the tang).  Additionally, I have witnessed an explosion in pods in the fuge and my overflows.  Also, I am seeing a lot of coralline growth on my rocks!

I’ve still got a decent amount of gunk on the back wall of the aquarium. But overall, things are improving fast!

Fuge